A challenging project to refurbish the Grade II* listed building and add new extensions to fill the footprint of the site, creating Gallery, Educational Plant and Workshop spaces. The original 1911 gallery is undergoing conservation repairs, re-roofing and re-servicing; the 1974 gallery is fully refurbished, adding new entrance and café areas, all overclad with modern stone rainscreen cladding and the two buildings are linked by a glass fronted two storey atrium/display area. A new rear extension is being constructed to house educational facilities, a new gallery and workshops for the artwork. The building is on a steep hill so has multiple split levels, and a new lift serving these. We worked closely with specialist lift subcontractor on design and installation process. High quality finishes throughout and structural glass complement the fusion of new and old buildings; the constraints on site of lack of space and severe differences in level make construction far from simple, demanding innovative solutions.